Episode 3 – Andrew Fawcett on Enterprise Development
Andy Fawcett tells us about his journey into the world of Salesforce.com development at FinancialForce, and why he loves prototyping new ideas. Andy is the CTO of FinancialForce.com and maintains an excellent blog at andyinthecloud.com. In this episode we also cover:
- How he started programming on the BBC Micro
- Where the famous enterprise patterns come from
- How patterns apply across many industries these days
- Do the patterns always apply?
- Why ‘separation of concerns’ is a key principal
- Bulkification of all code, not just triggers
- Why you should build APIs into your applications
- Apex UML diagrams built using the Tooling API
For more information on the enterprise patterns, including a recording and the slides from Andy’s Dreamforce ’13 presentation check out this post on his blog.